Six out of seven days a week I run or walk in the morning, somewhere between breakfast and lunch. Regardless of working out or not, I'm typically looking for a snack mid-morning. In trying to avoid extra calories, this works well timing wise as it combines the desire to have a snack with the need for something to recover.
My ideal snack / recovery food would have the following characteristics:
- I'd know exactly what was in it
- Would meet the required recovery ratio of carbs and protein
- Easy to grab and go
- Satisfy me until lunch
- Fit within my daily calorie requirements
- Be yummy!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups large flake oats
- 4 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 4 tbsp unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mash bananas in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place silicone muffin cups into a muffin baking pan.
- Divide batter among the 12 cups (batter does not rise, so don't worry about it going to the rim).
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool, remove from cups and store in air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.
Makes 12 bars. Nutritional information below.