-Two large handfuls of baby spinach (about 2 cups)
-3/4 cup basil leaves (I used all the leaves from a package of PC basil)
-1/2 cup olive oil
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-2 cloves garlic (or to taste)
-1 tbsp water
-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
-1 tbsp lemon zest
-1/2 tsp (or to taste) himalayan pink salt (or other salt)
-1/2 tsp (or to taste) fresh ground pepper
-1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
-2 cups chopped green beans
-1 cup frozen, shelled edamame
-1 package brown rice gluten-free shells (or whatever kind of pasta you prefer)
-4 pieces cooked and crumbled bacon
-Grated parmesan cheese
-Fresh ground pepper
1. Add all pesto ingredients to food processor. Blend. Set aside.
2. Cook bacon. (I roast mine in the oven on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.)
3. Chop broccoli and beans and place in steamer pot. Add frozen edamame. Mix.
4. Fill large pasta pot with water and salt.
5. Cook both veggies and pasta according to directions / preferred tenderness.
6. Drain pasta and veggies.
7. Equally distribute veggies into 4 large bowls, add pasta, then add a large tablespoonful (or to taste) of pesto. Mix in.
8. Top with crumbled bacon and a sprinkle of parmesan and fresh ground pepper.
Makes 4 large pre-race appetite servings
© runningdesigner, 2015